The Formation and Evolution of Planets in Protoplanetary Disks
Time & Dates
Wednesday 12:15 - 14:00 in the USM lecture hall. Weekly between 24.10.2018 and 06.02.2019
There will be no lectures or exercises on:
- 26.12.2018 (christmas break)
- 02.01.2019 (christmas break)
Sign-up for lecture
Sign-up for lecture is optional but recommended. The collected data is used for grading and creation of lecture certificates. Lecture-related updates or announcements will be sent to signed-up participants, but also noted on the website. To sign up, either use the Google form below or provide the information to the lecturer in person.
- Formula sheet: During the exam, no help other than a calculator may be used. A formula sheet containing all necessary units, quantities, and formulas will be availible during the exam. The current version of this forumula sheet is available for preview here. It might change until the exam.
- No exercises: There will be no exercise class on January 16 (just the lecture). The last exercise sheet will be due on January 23.
- Last exercises: On January 30, no more exercises will be due, instead we will have a Q&A session.
- First Lecture: The first lecture will take place on Wednesday, October 24 from 12:15 - 14:00 pm in the lecture hall of the USM.
Topics covered in the lecture will include:
- Overview: Disks & Exoplanets
- Our Solar System
- Disk Formation and Disk Structure
- Disk Evolution - Viscous Theory, Disk Winds, and Dissipation
- Dust in Protoplanetary Disks
- Planetesimal Formation
- Terrestrial Planet Formation
- Formation of Giant Planets
- Planet Migration
- Evolution of Planetary Systems
- Observations of Protoplanetary Disks
Lecture slides will be posted shortly after the lecture.
|24.10.||Disks & Exoplanets - An Overview|
|31.10.||Properties of the (extra-)solar system(s)|
|07.11.||Disk Formation Part I|
|14.11.||Disk Formation Part II & Disk Structure|
|21.11.||Disk Evolution - Part I|
|28.11.||Disk Evolution - Part II|
|05.12.||Planet Formation Overview & Dust Dynamics|
|12.12.||Dust Evolution & Planetesimal Formation|
|19.12.||Planetesimal Formation II & Planetesimal Interaction I|
|16.01.||Final Assembly & Giant Planets|
|23.01.||Migration & Orbital Evolution|
|30.01.||Q&A Session during lecture hours. USM Colloquium on the topic during the exercises (lecture hall).|
Exercises are taking place Wednesdays at 14:00-16:00 at the seminar room of the University Observatory.
The exercise sheets will be posted here for download after the lectures.
|Tutorial||Due date||Exercise Sheet|
|#11||30.01.2019||Attend the USM Colloquium on Planet Formation in the lecture hall!|